Access to Improved Sanitation Facility
English: % of households with access to an improved sanitation facility
French: % de ménages ayant accès à une installation d'assainissement améliorée
Czech: % domácností s přístupem k vylepšeným typům toalet
What is its purpose?
This indicator assesses the proportion of households with close access (no more than 50m from their dwelling) to an improved sanitation facility - an essential precondition for the prevention of open defecation.
How to Collect and Analyse the Required Data
Collect the following data by conducting individual interviews with a representative sample of adults from your target households:
RECOMMENDED SURVEY QUESTIONS (Q) AND POSSIBLE ANSWERS (A)
Q1: Where do you and your family members defecate?
A1: in the open (bush, fields, river ...) / use latrine (any type)
ask the following questions only if the previous answer was "use latrine":
Q2: Can you please show me the latrine?
A2: latrine was shown / latrine was NOT shown
Q3 for data collector: How far is the latrine?
A3: less than 50m / more than 50m
Q4 for data collector: What type of latrine does the household use?
1) pit latrine with slab
2) ventilated improved pit latrine
3) flush or pour toilet (connected to a sewer system)
4) composting toilet
5) pit latrine without slab
6) other - specify: ...........................
Note: Only households having latrine less than 50m from their dwelling and using improved sanitation facility (answers 1-4) count as "having access to an improved sanitation facility".
1) The fact that a household has access to a sanitation facility does not mean that its members use it. The indicator Use of Sanitation Facility is likely to give you more useful data.
2) Consider also assessing whether the latrine has the following aspects of being an “improved model”:
- solid slab that looks safe to use (i.e. does not have a large hole)
- slab hole is covered
- slab is washable and clean
- solid walls that provide adequate privacy
- door that provides adequate privacy
- wire mesh in windows
3) The maximum distance of 50m is based on Sphere's "Excreta disposal standard 2: Appropriate and adequate toilet facilities".