Gender Ratio for Minimum Acceptable Diet (MAD)
English: ratio of boys and girls aged 6-23 months who received a Minimum Acceptable Diet the previous day and night
French: ratio de garçons et filles âgés de 6 à 23 mois ayant reçu un Apport Alimentaire Minimum Acceptable le jour et la nuit précédents
Czech: poměr chlapců a dívek ve věku 6-23 měsíců, kteří v uplynulém dni a noci konzumovali Minimální přijatelnou stravu
What is its purpose?
The indicator assesses whether there is a gender imbalance in the nutritional quality of girls' and boys’ diet.
How to Collect and Analyse the Required Data
Calculate the indicator’s value by using the following methodology:
1) Calculate the percentage of girls and boys aged 6 – 23.99 months that consume a Minimum Acceptable Diet (MAD) by following this guidance.
2) Convert the percentages to fractions (for example, changing 53% to 0.53).
3) Divide the fraction representing boys’ MAD by the fraction representing girls’ MAD (for example, 0.53 divided by 0.49).
4) The closer is the resulting ratio to “1”, the greater is the parity between girls’ and boys’ diets. A ratio greater than 1 indicates a disparity in favour of boys. Ratio between 0 and 1 represents disparity in favour of girls.
1) The values of the Minimum Acceptable Diet indicator are prone to seasonal differences. Do your best to collect baseline and endline data in the same period of the year; otherwise it is very likely that they will not be comparable.