English: % of active female members in community leadership committees
French: % de membres féminins actifs dans les comités de gestion communautaire
Czech: % aktivních členek ve vedení komunitních výborů
What is its purpose?
The indicator measures the proportion of women among the active members of the targeted community leadership committees. This is an important aspect of women’s representation in the decision-making processes.
How to Collect and Analyse the Required Data
1) List all relevant community leadership committees.
2) Count the number of male and female members per committee.
3) Define the meaning of an “active member”. IndiKit recommends defining “active member” as a member who in the past six months attended at least 60% of the committee’s events (meetings, workshops).
4) Assess the number of active i) female and ii) male members per committee (use a review of attendance sheets, interviews, etc.).
5) Calculate the total number of active i) female and ii) male members in all the targeted committees.
6) Calculate the indicator’s value by dividing the total number of active female members by the total number of all the active committee members. Multiply the result by 100.
1) Measurement above calculates active female members out of total active members of a committee (i.e. not all members).
2) Active membership might be defined differently dependent on culture and circumstances.
3) This indicator complements or goes beyond a target of number or % of women in representation bodies, recognizing that women’s voices are only heard if their participation is active.