Code of Conduct for Teachers
English: number or % of teachers in supported schools who know and who signed the Teacher’s Code of Conduct
French: nombre ou % d'enseignants dans les écoles appuyées qui connaissent et qui ont signé le Code de Conduite de l'Enseignant
Czech: počet nebo % učitelů v podpořených školách, kteří znají a podepsali Kodex učitele
What is its purpose?
The indicator assesses the number and proportion of teachers who are aware of and obliged to follow school rules ensuring student and teacher participation, safety and security.
How to Collect and Analyse the Required Data
Determine the indicator's value by using the following methodology:
1) Assess the total number of teachers in your target schools (by reviewing relevant records or interviewing their directors).
2) Ask the directors of your target schools to provide you with the number of teachers who signed the code of conduct. Verify the signatures by reviewing the signed code of conduct.
3) Crosscheck with a representative sample of teachers who signed the code of conduct their knowledge and understanding of the code of conduct’s content. Prepare your interview guide and response sheet in advance, including the minimum number of correct answers each teacher needs to provide to be considered as "knowing of and understanding the code of conduct". Recommended interview questions include:
> Is there any code of conduct for teachers in your school?
> Have you signed the teacher code of conduct?
> What is the purpose of the code of conduct?
> Do you remember any specific teacher duties mentioned in the code of conduct? Please, list at least [specify the number] of them.
> The code of conduct refers to “violence against children committed in schools”. How do you understand this statement? Please, explain and give an example.
4) Calculate the indicator's value by dividing the number of teachers who know of, signed and understand the code of conduct by the total number of teachers working in the target schools and multiplying the result by 100.
1) Teacher’s code of conduct is a statement of principles, rules and values that establishes a set of expectations and standards for how individuals in a school will behave in an ethical way, including minimal levels of compliance and disciplinary actions. A Teacher’s CoC should always be contextualized to the local situation.
Access Additional Guidance
- PIN (2015) Example of Code of Conduct for Teachers (.pdf)